Subscribe to The Canned Cook on YouTube at:
A wonderful hearty meal that’s bursting with flavor in every bite. A hint of spice (or extra spicy if you like the heat like me) and just the right amount of veggies, crunchy tortilla strips, and cheese takes this mouthwatering soup to a whole other level! It’s amazing what you can do with canned veggies and some cheese!
– 1 cup diced onion
– 3 cloves garlic
– 1 serrano pepper
– 1/2 cup fresh cilantro de-stemmed and chopped
– 2 cans diced tomatoes (NOT drained)
– 1 can black beans (drained)
– 3/4 can corn (drained)
– 2 cups chicken broth
– 2 cups shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken is super easy for this)
– Mexican style shredded cheese (1/2 cup for soup, extra cheese for topping)
– 1 lime
– 1/2 tsp cumin
– 1/2 tsp garlic powder
– salt & pepper to taste
– 1/4 tsp chili powder
– 1/4 tsp cayenne if you’re feeling extra spicy
– sour cream & avocado for topping
– corn tortillas
– avocado & olive oil
Directions for tortilla strips:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Slice 4 corn tortillas into 1/4” strips and cut in half.
3. Cover baking sheet with aluminum foil and place tortilla strips in a single layer.
Toss with 1 tsp olive oil and dash of salt and pepper, making sure to evenly distribute.
4. Bake for 15-18 minutes, can be done while soup is simmering.
Directions for soup:
1. Heat 1 tbsp avocado oil in stock pot or dutch oven on medium heat.
2. Add onion, serrano pepper, garlic, and cilantro and cook until tender ~5 mins.
3. Add tomatoes, black beans, corn, and seasonings.
4. Let reduce for 5 minutes.
5. Add chicken broth, shredded chicken, and juice of 1 lime.
6. Cover and let simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn heat to low if it starts to boil over.
7. Add 1/2 cup of cheese to thicken soup. If soup is still too thin, continue to let boil for 5-10 minutes.
8. Remove from heat, dish up, and add your toppings! Sour cream, Avocado, tortilla strips, cilantro, and more cheese are my favs! Maybe even some extra jalapenos too!
Hope you enjoy! Bon Appetit!